Our art curriculum aims/intends to:
- Enable pupils to develop knowledge and skills in a wide range of disciplines and use these to experiment and develop their own ideas.
- Enable pupils to express themselves and their experiences through their art and to learn about a range of artists who reflect the cultures in our school.
- Promote positive well-being by using art forms for self-expression and discovery.
- Promote a positive attitude towards learning, with the children having ownership of their sketchbooks.
- Ensure equal access to learning for all pupils, with high expectations for every pupil.
- Empower pupils to experiment and explore ideas.
- Equip pupils with the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life, including the ability to evaluate and analyse the work of artists and makers.
- Enable pupils to feel confident to talk about their work and reflect, analyse and compare it.
Art is taught from Early Years to Year 6. Teachers are encouraged to find creative ways to include art in the curriculum as often as possible in addition to set lessons.