Public bodies such as schools have a duty, under the 2010 Equality Act, to ensure they promote equality within their organisation and this statement sets out, along with the associated school policy, how we endeavour to achieve this at Loddon Primary School. We are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating a Values Based Environment which champions respect for all. We believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Equality in Teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Giving every child a personalised learning journey through our Integrated Curriculum, encouraging enjoyment, independence, confidence, imagination and curiosity as well as the skills, knowledge and understanding needed for success.
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society.
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures.
- Seeking to involve all parent/carers in supporting their child’s education.
Equality in Admissions and Exclusions
Our admissions arrangements for FS2-Y6 are managed by Wokingham Borough Council and are fair and transparent. Admission to Nursery is managed by the school in line with our published admission arrangements. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, gender, marital status, responsibility for children or other dependants, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age, trade union or political activities, socio-economic background.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.
The school has a full and separate ‘Equalities and Community Cohesion’ Policy which can be viewed in the Policies section of our website or a copy requested from the school office.